Your armpits are probably not the first part of your where you think of when someone talks about ‘taking care of your body’. So, without thinking about it, we spray heavy smelling deodorant under them, while many lymph nodes lie close to the surface of the skin. Have you ever read the ingredients of your deodorant? And if you did, did you know that 64% of what you put on your body, you absorb?
Aluminum in deodorant
Then there’s aluminum. This is a main ingredient of non-natural deodorants. How it works? Aluminum salts(aluminum chloride, aluminum zirconium, aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum hydroxybromide) prevent us from sweating when aluminum ions are drawn into the cells that line the sweat ducts. This makes the cells swell, so sweat can’t get out. Unfortunately, some research has linked it to neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
You can see why loads of people switch to natural deodorant! I’ve been using natural deodorant for a while and here’s what you need to know.
You can make it yourself
And it’s super easy! The ingredients you need?
- 2 tsp Shea Butter
- 3 tsp Coconut Oil
- 3-4 tsp Baking Soda
Heat the coconut oil and shea butter and add baking soda. Let it harden. Tadaa, your own deodorant! You can add essential oils as a perfume if you prefer to do so.
There are different types of natural deodorant
If you’re not the DIY type, you can buy different types of natural deodorant:
- Cream deodorants which you use like a cream
- Stick deo
- Sprays but without the butane
- Mineral Salt deo
- Powder deodorant
These ingredients you should avoid
- Propylene glycol and disodium EDTA. These are penetration enhancers and carry the bad ingredients into our bodies.
- Butane (also called “methylpropane”) is a chemical that is not only bad for your body, also for the environment.
- Fragrance (unless it’s natural fragrance) can cause irritation.
- Triclosan can disrupt your hormonal balance.
- BHT has been linked to nervous-system effects and is a suspected carcinogen.
Do you use natural deodorant? Which brand is your favorite?